Listen to the Podcast
Digging Into Paleo with Alex Golden, EP 020
Download the podcast on iTunes, you can rate and review it here! Download the podcast on Stitcher
In this episode of Food, Sex & Life for the Modern Woman…Living Primal, Alex Golden takes us through her health journey to reach her body’s current happy place, and how she continues to progress daily. She shares with us ways to reach our own hormonal happiness, useful tips to find a functional practitioner (especially if you have a chronic condition), and we go over her Healthy Hormones Group program.
One of the key takeaways during our conversation with Alex…“it is OK to realize that we don’t have the capacity right now to know exactly what is going on in our bodies, but we will get there. Give yourself permission to meet yourself where you’re at.”
First Steps Toward Successful Healing:
Find a healthcare provider that will work with your condition. They will become your ally.
- Figure out exactly “How are you feeling?”
- Look at healthcare provider directories.
- Pick practitioners based on your needs…start talking to them. The list will narrow down.
- Go see them. Talk to them in person and you’ll be able to narrow your list down to your very top choice.
Download DIGPrimal’s Dealing with Doctors Cheat Sheet.
There is no one “right way” for everyone. No “one-size-fits-all” approach to reaching our optimal health.
14 Questions to Tell if You Need to Work on Your Hormonal Health
In order to maximize hormone health, it is important to recognize the signs of hormonal imbalance. During this episode, Alex goes over 14 crucial questions to ask yourself to determine if you’re experiencing hormonal imbalance. If you answer yes to 6 of them, you have an underlying hormonal issue. The questions range from energy levels, weight, acne, sleep, periods…you’ll want to listen in to find out what these questions are, and start your own journey to optimal health.
You can also get the Do You Need to Work on Your Hormonal Health Questionnaire here.
How to Find the Right Doctor for You and How to Deal Them
Alex has a great two part blog post on her website that goes in detail through the process of finding a doctor and how to deal with them. Dealing With Doctors Specially If You Have a Chronic Condition, Part 1 goes over problems you might have had with medical professionals in the past, how to address and start to be more constructive about finding a health care provider that works with you to get you what you need and questions to ask yourself and information to provide when you’re getting ready to find a new doctor. Dealing With Doctors, Part 2 covers how to use the information you’ve gathered to start narrowing down your list of potential providers and the next steps to take to find the one (or several!) that makes the final cut.
How to Reach Optimal Hormonal Health
Alex has put together the exact program she wished she had when she was struggling to balance her hormones. She routinely hears about the benefits her graduates have found from the Healthy Hormones Group Program:
- weight loss
- better energy throughout the day
- most restful sleep
- less acne and more even skin tone
- improved digestion (less nausea, constipation, diarrhea)
- less anxiety/depression
- normalization of painful or irregular periods
- decreased swelling and bloat
There’s a new Healthy Hormones Group Program starting in the next few weeks! You’ll want to check it out.
Alex Golden is an anesthesiology resident at the University of Chicago with a passion for a whole foods and a holistic approach to health. She’s the co-creator of the Healthy Hormones Group Program which helps women reclaim their adrenal, hormonal, and neurotransmitter balance. She also runs her blog, digprimal.com, which is all about natural living, DIY-ing, and eating good food. She lives in Chicago with her husband and two adorable (and goofy) cats.
Alex’s 3 Habits to Ensure her Health Journey:
- Being patient with herself
- Take time to have at least one meal with friends or family daily. Sit down and enjoy the meal, focus on chewing and connect with loved ones.
Alex’s Favorite Music For:
- To motivate, push through: Early Red Hot Chili Peppers
- When feeling blue: She’s a Brick House
- To sooth and relax: she doesn’t listen to music…prefers to move: walk, hike, yoga
Links and Resources
- To contact Alex go to her website digprimal.com or email AlexDIGPrimal@gmail.com
- Healthy Hormones Group Program website healthyhormonesgroup.com
- Alex’s Facebook | Instagram | Periscope | Pinterest
- Recommended books:
- Recommended digital resource:
- Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband, Black, Large – to track your steps, calories, sleep.
- Gratitude Journal app – it reminds you to write a gratitude randomly throughout the day. A great way to go back and look at everything you have to be thankful for.