Listen to the Podcast
Superwoman Status- How YOU Can Reach This in Your Health with Ben Greenfield, Episode 011
Download the podcast on iTunes, you can rate and review it here! Download the podcast on Stitcher
Ben Greenfield talks to us about what it takes to become Superhuman…merging performance, fat loss (metabolic efficiency), digestion, brain health, sleep, hormone balance and recovery. He offers excellent tips for maximizing fat loss…you’ll want to listen to this! And goes over tests you can have done to know your body and make adjustments to reach Superwoman status.
Ben’s 3 Tips to Maximize Fat Burning:
- Daily Intermittent Fasting– helps with fat burning efficiency and helps give digestive system a break. Daily 12-16 hour fasts.
- Fasted aerobic session in your fat burning zone– During that time of fasting, do an easy 20-30 minutes aerobic session, performing primarily in fat burning zone. You can do a lab test to find out what that is, or use this simple formula:
- 180 – your age = fat burning heart rate. ie: if you’re 40, 180-40 = 140. Therefore, 140 is your fat burning heart rate.
- Avoid common practice of grazing and snacking frequently– this has not been proven to increase metabolism. It causes frequent spikes in calorie intake, sugar intake and insulin, which can actually shut down fat burning efficiency. Eating 2-3 square meals a day is better for fat burning efficiencies.
“Getting dirty and being friendly and up-close with bacteria is better for your gut than staying as clean as possible and avoiding germs.”
Ben Greenfield is an ex-bodybuilder, Ironman triathlete, Spartan racer, coach, speaker and author of the New York Times Bestseller “Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health and Life” (http://www.BeyondTrainingBook.com). In 2008, Ben was voted as NSCA’s Personal Trainer of the year and in 2013 and 2014 was named by Greatist as one of the top 100 Most Influential People In Health And Fitness. Ben blogs and podcasts at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com, and resides in Spokane, WA with his wife and twin boys.
Ben’s Habits to Ensure Maximum Health:
- Daily cold shower to help with blood flow, cognitive performance and removal of inflammation.
- Physical activity everyday, not necessarily exercise. Stays on his feet, walking, moving, lifting, etc. Never sitting for more than an hour a day.
- Save most carb intake for end of day when carbohydrates are more likely to be shoveled into the muscle and the liver to be used as glycogen rather than converted into fat.
Ben’s Favorite Music:
- During riding: Brain.FM
- Favorite music genre is country music: Johnny Cash
Links and Resources
- Ben’s book: Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health & Life
- Recommended books:
- Recommended digital resource, heart variability app: NatureBeat Heart Variability Tracker
- To contact Ben Greenfield and get access to podcast, book and articles go to www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com