Listen to the Podcast
How to Love Mondays… Secrets to Leadership that Will Leave You Loving Every Day, #82
In this episode, we discussed what it takes to be a leadership expert. What it takes to excel in this world, of all different types of people, perspectives, opportunities and agendas. David Cottrell, an expert in leadership is guiding us through this process. For anyone interested in developing leadership skills, getting ahead of the crowd and a great tip for recent graduates. A must listen!
We are in our 3rd year at FSL, and our most sincerest THANK YOU to all you, our dear audience and our guests!!
We are taking a little shift in the podcast format. We will be focusing more on how we become a complete woman, diving further into the “life” and “success” part of Food, Success and Life for the Modern Woman.
FSLModern is now sponsored by Marriage OS.
They help business owners and executives just like you reignite or save their marriages and unlock with their partner the unbreakable bond of unconditional love and passionate connection so that together they discover the secret of their limitless potential, soar above challenges and find EPIC HAPPINESS.
They’re offering a COMPLIMENTARY Breakthrough Session to all FSLers. Click HERE to book your Breakthrough Session today!
And now….our guest David Cottrell.
What makes a great leader?
The million dollar question!! There are a lot of factors.
- Surround yourself with good people. You’re only as good as the people you have working with you. Once you have the team that will help where you want to get…you need…
- Clarity- Sometimes people are really good at getting to the wrong place because they don’t know where they’re trying to get. This can be developed with your own people.
- Communication- Being able to deliver with clarity what you’re trying to accomplish and have everyone understand why it’s important.
- Empower others- Allow your people to do their job, allow them to lead where they are. If you don’t allow them to, you’re stifling your opportunity for better results.
Hacks to help overstressed leaders
It is always changing and evolving. The difficult part for people today because of the vast amount of information that is hitting us today, is discerning was is true and was is fiction. What is the truth of what we have to deal with? Determine that vs. what is a perceived truth of what we think we need to be taking care of. This is where clarity comes in. What is really important and how should I spend my time?
There will still be conflict and things we do not have the time to do. But once we are clear on the truth of what must be done and not just to try to please everyone, we will actually be more fulfilled.
Tips to Reach Clarity and Determine What is Important
People make assumptions without asking questions. If we as leaders in any company communicate better, be direct, we will have a shortcut to reach clarity. You have to leave the feelings of inadequacy or feeling like we will be reprimanded for asking questions so we can reach the goal quicker. Everyone is trying to reach a goal, so let’s start asking the questions that feel uncomfortable. People’s time is valuable and the more we can respect that by asking direct questions, the better it’s going to be for all parties involved and we can manage everything better.
A Tip for People in New Roles at Work
If you’re just accepting a new position, the worst thing you can do is go in and change things because you don’t have the right perspective yet on what the culture is. For anyone who is taking on a new role, it is best to do nothing, look, ask evaluate. Find out why things are done the way they are. It might not be a good reason, but there’s a reason. Do this before any changes are made.
First, develop trust with your people, get them involved, then make changes. You need trust to develop people, which you will need to make changes. Don’t just tell people what to do, when they’re involved they feel like they’re accomplishing something as well.
How to Surround Yourself with the Right People
Most people are promoted to a position because they were good at their position, not necessarily because they have the right skills for that position. The first thing that promoted person learns is that not everyone cares as much as they do for the end goal and that no everyone is really skilled to be where they’re at.
Before you actually hire someone for a position, do the following:
- Find at least 3 people who are qualified for that position- a lot of people don’t want to do this because it takes time. What it means is that if you hired just one of these people, the job would get done. Get help from HR if you have to do perform good interviews.
- Interview them 3 different times- if you’re going to have someone working for you from 8 to 5, you need to know as much as you can about those people. Once in the morning, noon and after work on different days, so you can get as much information as you can from them. When they’re in interviewing with you, they’re all smiles. You have to understand you’re going to lose some of that enthusiasm. So if you’re stretching it to get them to fit that position, you’re going to lose some of that and it’s going to be worse.
- Get at least 3 other people to interview with you. Get some people on your team. One of the things that will make a valuable team, is that there needs to be a fit with what you currently have. Get the superstars on your team, so they also have some skin in the game, and they will help the chosen person be successful too.
Mistakes will still be made, but if you do the above, you’ll have a lot better chance of getting the right people on your team.
Such great tips!!! This is really profound!!
First answer, what is the one thing that your team can bring to the table? When something from outside the box comes in, you can evaluate if this is something you should be working on and spending time on. You are there to accomplish that main thing.
So many great nuggets of information and tips to being a great leader, forming a great team, gaining clarity and communicate! A must listen!! And can you really develop that trust and relationship via email? No, really?
Take a listen and give us your thoughts in the comments.
The 3 Habits David Developed to Lead Teams Successfully
- Stay in the Game
- Continue to Grow- read 1 book a month to stand out from the crowd.
- Don’t lose your faith
About David Cottrell:
David Cottrell, President and CEO of CornerStone Leadership Institute, is an internationally-known leadership consultant, educator, and speaker. His business experience includes senior management positions with Xerox and FedEx. He also led the successful turn-around of a chapter eleven company before founding CornerStone.
David’s 25-plus years of professional experience are reflected in over 20 highly acclaimed books and his reputation as a premier public speaker. David has been a featured expert on public television and has presented his leadership message to over 250,000 managers worldwide.
Links and Resources
- You will find books, and other resources, online courses, training and opportunities for consulting at cornerstoneleadreship.com.
- Subscribe to his blog, it’s free and full of encouraging info and Monday Morning leadership inspiration.
- Recommended Books:
- If you missed it, listen in on last week’s podcast episode: Uncovering the Hidden Toxins in Your Wine with Todd White of Dry Farm Wines, #81
- Join our private FSL Modern Community on FB.