Listen to the Podcast
Cheers to Skinny Gut with Brenda Watson, #39
We talk all things gut health related with Brenda Watson, from the bacteria living in our stomach, how it affects every function of our body, what leaky gut is and how to reverse it. It is truly amazing how we can resolve many issues and ailments we experience ourselves, and we hear our friends talking about, by simply healing our gut! Brenda gives us some tips we can begin implementing today to reach good gut health, that will also improve the texture of our skin and help us lose some extra pounds. And given that it’s the holidays, we can all use a little help detoxing and keeping those pounds at bay.
Gut Health and the Rest of our Body
The bacteria in our digestive system is really an organ. There is more bacteria than there are cells: 90% bacteria and 10% human cells. There are 3-4 pounds of bacteria in our stomach at any given time. It is made up of good bacteria, neutral bacteria and negative bacteria. A healthy person has 80% good and neutral bacteria, and 20% negative bacteria; that’s considered balanced for good health.
Your gut bacteria is your GPS: gut protection system.
Gut bacteria is more than just going to the bathroom and diarrhea:
- It regulates your immune system.
- It reduced digestive distress.
- Can regulate depression and anxiety.
- Reduces inflammation-
- Outer inflammation we see when we cut a finger as our body trying to prevent and fight off infection. But silent inflammation is inside our bodies and leads to cardiovascular disease, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, eczema, etc.
- Can help shed weight and keep it off.
What is leaky gut and how do you know if you have it?
Inside the digestive tract, the small and large intestine specifically, there is a mucosal lining. This mucosal lining is a screen, very much like the screen on your windows that creates a barrier for unwanted bugs. When it is intact it keeps unwanted foods and anything that is not proper, from entering the bloodstream.
When the screen gets holes, bacteria, virus and large protein molecules can now enter the bloodstream and circulate throughout the body.
But how does the screen (mucosal lining) get holes? It becomes inflamed and irritated, and it should shed and rebuilds itself every 3-5 days. But when there is a constant inflammatory issue inside it sheds constantly. So then all these foods enter the bloodstream and the gut reacts to the foreign invader. The immune system either becomes upregulated which keeps from creating inflammation in other areas, or it becomes down-regulated, by creating leaky gut. It many cases, the immune system may not even respond anymore over time, and you become sicker over time.
You don’t wake up one day with fibromyalgia…it develops over time.
Leaky Gut is Reversible
- Analyze what you’re eating- common foods creating sensitivities are gluten and milk.
- Clean up your diet- diet is #1.
- eat a plant based diet with quality proteins- to manage blood sugar levels.
- some women can do a cleanse with blended juice- Brenda finds green blended juices to be the key for her. See her favorite recipe below.
- Begin to repopulate with good bacteria- take a good probiotic and probiotic foods (fermented foods). You’re going to need both.
Correlation Between Gut Health and Weightloss
It was found that gut bacteria in overweight people is not the same as gut bacteria in lean people. Brenda started to shift her patients to a diet that would shift bacteria and found that those overweight lost weight. Bacteria shift was determined with a stool analysis.
The Skinny Gut Diet consists of:
- Couple ounces of protein every 3-4 hours.
- Green juices
- Fermented foods (not just sauerkraut). You can get fermented veggies at the grocery store. But she teaches you to make it much more economically in her book, The Skinny Gut Diet.
What will happen when you follow her diet:
- You absorb fewer calories
- You store less fat
- You have less cravings
Why? Because fat bacteria likes to eat sugar, so psychologically you crave sugar. You eliminate that by feeding the skinny bacteria with fiber, and the cravings will go down. We all have fat bacteria. Overweight people just have an abundance of it.
Green Juice Recipe:
Blend it in a Vitamix, Ninja or Bullet to keep the fiber in. Add the ingredients in the order given and drink 1 quart a day.
- tiny bit of water at the bottom, celery, cucumber, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 avocado, handful of kale, handful of spinach, cilantro, parsley (diuretic), 1/2 granny smith, ice.
A great tip is to cut up everything on Sunday and put what you need in a baggie or freeze. Then every morning you simply add it to your blender and blend away.
Join in the Skinny Gut Challenge with Us!!
For the next 30 days, drink a green blended juice daily. Post your pictures on our Private Facebook Community page, and share your experiences. You should start to feel more regulated, to see glowing skin and hair, lose some water bloat, and maybe even shed a few pounds.
Did you know you may be only partly responsible for whether or not you gain or lose weight?
The Skinny Gut Diet explores the little-known link between a healthy gut and permanent weight loss—and it has everything to do with the 100 trillion bacteria in your digestive tract. Studies show that a balanced digestive tract (meaning the right amount of good bacteria vs. harmful bacteria) stimulates weight loss by enabling your body to absorb fewer calories from food, experience fewer cravings, and store less fat.
The premise is simple: curtail sugar consumption (and learn to spot its surprising sources) and eat more healthy fats, living foods, and protein to balance the bacteria in your digestive tract. The result? Lasting weight loss—plus the side benefits of better digestion, a stronger immune system, and even a better mood!
With The Skinny Gut Diet you will be introduced to an easy-to-follow eating plan that will help you achieve and maintain digestive balance and lasting weight loss. It includes a 14-day eating guide and more than 75 delicious and easy-to-prepare recipes to help you get started, along with inspiring real-life stories of Skinny Gut dieters who transformed their health and their waistlines.
Brenda’s 3 Habits to Ensure Her Health Journey:
- One pound of veggies a day.
- Lots of water- she drinks 1/2 her weight in ounces of clean liquids per day.
- Exercise the brain- engage in life’s activities that make her happy.
Brenda’s Morning Routine
- Meditation and Journaling, 15-20 minutes per day. Sets the tone for the day.
- Exercise is a must, 3 times per week. Weight bearing.
- Blended green drinks.
Brenda Watson’s Bio:
When it comes to poop, colons and digestive disorders, Brenda can give you the scoop!
For over 20 years, Brenda Watson has dedicated her career to helping people achieve vibrant, lasting vitality through improved digestive function. A dynamic digestive care advocate and celebrated PBS-TV health educator, she is among the foremost authorities in America on optimum nutrition and digestion, natural detoxification methods, and herbal internal cleansing.Over the last decade, Brenda has created 6 PBS shows that have empowered millions in their quest for a better way to lasting health and revolutionized the way Americans view the vital link between digestion and total-body wellness.
Brenda’s most recent book, The Skinny Gut Diet has already helped thousands achieve lasting weight loss while balancing their inner environment.
Links and Resources
- Find Brenda at website | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
- You can also find Brenda on a PBS Television Series Natural Health Breakthroughs with Brenda Watson
- Brenda’s Favorite Music for:
- Brenda’s Recommended Books:
- If you missed it, our last podcast episode with Dr. Kara Fitzgerald was all about methylation, why it’s so important for every function of our body, why it’s gained so much more attention in recent years and how we can create a methylation balance that will help us prevent and reverse ailments such as cancer, autism, thyroid issues, autoimmunity and heart conditions.