Listen to the Podcast
The Four Pillars of Weight Loss- Part II, Prioritizing Your Zzzs with Jason Seib, Episode 027
We are back with Jason Seib of AltShift for Part II of our four part series of interviews to discuss the Four Pillars of Weight Loss in more detail. This is Part II where we focus on Sleep. Listen in on Part I for our discussion on Stress Management.
What is AltShift Diet?
It’s a diet that was created after Jason was following a paleo diet. Paleo makes people healthier, but doesn’t necessarily lead to fat loss. The AltShift Diet cycles fats, carbs and calories, and people are finding this healthy eating plan easy to follow. It is a fat loss protocol and people are achieving astonishing results. There is scientific research backing the diet protocol.
The reached #1 on Fitness & Nutrition category in iTunes, and received Paleo Magazine’s Best of 2015 Award for Best Ebook. And the testimonials are amazing!
Four Pillars of Good Health and Fat Loss
The following are the four pillars of fat loss. We will be dedicating one whole episode to each, so be sure to come back the next few weeks to listen in on discussion about the other pillars.
- Part I- Stress
- Part II- Sleep
- Part III- Nutrition– coming up
- Part IV- Exercise– coming up
Not one is more important than the other. If one is missing, it can dismantle your goals for loosing weight, burning belly fat, and healthy living.
The Effects of Sleep and What Happens To Our Bodies When We Don’t Get Enough Sleep
Jason explains why it’s important for humans to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night, and at the same time every night. Lack of sleep results in insulin resistance which inhibits the body’s ability to lose fat.
We previously had on the show Dr. Andrew Hill who mentioned that a the chronically sleep deprived brains tend to look like a head injury brain or a depressed brain. You can listen to his episode here.
“Lack of sleep will make it difficult or impossible to lose fat.”
Missed or broken sleep in a night will create in some people, insulin resistance similar to that seen in Type II Diabetics, and will prevent loosing weight and burning belly fat.
Typical Recommendations for Sleep
- Get 8 hours of sleep a night, but not 12 to 8 because it doesn’t match the body’s diurnal rhythm. 10pm to 6am is ideal.
- Prioritize your sleep. You have a choice to watch TV or sleep. Choose to make sleep a priority.
- If you have infants, lack of sleep is temporary.
- If you work at night, make a huge effort to get a day job.
For those of us in need of “adult time”, we tend to try and find it after the kids to go bed. We stay up late, get up early, and are still tired. When we get the proper sleep, we won’t have a need for “adult time” because we will manage our time better and the kids won’t wear us out. Wow. What a statement!
9 Tips to Improve Sleep Hygiene
- After sunset, no electronics. The blue light in the inhibits melatonin.
- Wear orange lens glasses to further eliminate light blue light.
- Set the blue light blocker on your iPhone at a certain time.
- Dim the lights, use as little as possible.
- Use candles.
- Supplement with magnesium. Doc Parsley’s Sleep Remedy is a good one.
- Eat well. When diet is garbage, you can’t sleep well.
- Over training can damage sleep.
- Take baby steps to improve your sleep. If you go to sleep at 12, try for 11:45 and improve from there.
“Sleep Deprivation Takes Years Off Your Life”
You won’t be successful to improve sleep if you don’t take care of the other 3 pillars: stress management, nutrition and exercise. More details on nutrition and exercise in upcoming episodes. Come back in the next few weeks to listen in on them, get tips on healthy living and build self confidence. Listen in on the Stress Management Episode.
Also, listen in on our first interview with Jason a few months back: Thinking Yourself Thin- Fact or Fiction with Jason Seib.
Jason Seib is the creator of the popular AltShift Diet, the author of The Paleo Coach, co-host of the popular JASSA Podcast and AltShift Podcast, founder and co-owner of AltShift Fitness and Fat Loss, a successful small gym in the Portland, Oregon area, as well as founder and co-owner of JassaFIT.com, an on-line training site and community. He speaks on the subject of fat loss regularly, delivering his Sustainable Fat Loss Seminar around the US. Jason’s passion is guiding normal people to extraordinary levels of health and fitness and he has built his career by helping thousands of people to change their perspective and find a healthy, sustainable path to their goals.
Links and Resources
- Jason’s website AltShiftdiet.com
- Jason’s Facebook Group | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Periscope
- Podcast: The AltShift Podcast
- Recommended Book: Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
- Podcast Episode- Our first interview with Jason: Thinking Yourself Thin- Fact or Fiction with Jason Seib.
- Podcast Episode- The Four Pillars of Weight Loss- Part I: Stress Management
- Podcast Episode- More confirmation of the importance of sleep: Beautiful Brain??!!?! Todya’s Choices Will Help Keep Your Brain Young and Healthy with Neurologist Andrew Hill, #2