Listen to the Podcast
Are your Hormones Knocking You Down? With Debbie Reynolds, Episode 023
In this episode of Food, Sex & Life for the Modern Woman Podcast, Debbie Reynolds talks to us about the factors that are knocking our hormone balance out of whack. She goes over the symptoms to keep an eye out for and the holistic approach we can take to get back into balance. The trends are showing that not only are women’s hormones being affected these days, but also men and even our children! Contributing factors include everything from stress, poor nutrition, plastic water bottles and chemicals in the products we use.
Specific symptoms to look for that indicate you’re perimenopausal:
- really fatigued
- not sleeping
- gaining weight
If you think this sounds like you…you’re on the same boat with many of FSLers (FSL Modern Podcast listeners)!! You’ll want to listen in on this episode.
Lifestyle tips to help balance hormones
- Getting 7-8 hours of quality sleep every night. When this doesn’t happen, your cells don’t regenerate.
- Eat the right foods – nutrient based diet.
- Fitness- hot yoga is an excellent activity, takes you through 26 poses in 90 minutes at Hot Harmony Yoga. You can listen to our podcast interview with Annie of Hot Harmony Yoga here…it was a pretty great one. But do something that you like so you will stick to it.
Factors Contributing to Hormone Imbalance
- Stress- It is very likely that most women today are experiencing hormone imbalance due to the ever increasing stress levels we live with.
- Environmental stress is increasingly creating hormone imbalance in men and children as well. For example:
- Chemicals in our food
- Drinking out of plastic bottles
- Chemicals in makeup- we need to switch to mineral makeup
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Debbie offers BHRT at Holistic Harmony MedSpa in Nebraska. BHRT, bio-identical replacement therapy, is bio-identical do your body, plant based, non-toxic and matches your own body’s receptors. She offers the following personalized treatments based on lifestyle and hormone levels:
- BHRT GELS AND CREAMS – BHRT creams and BHRT gels, like patches, are transdermal. This means that the bio-identical hormones are placed on the skin and absorbed through your bloodstream. Many patients prefer using gels and creams because the method of application is so familiar; it’s not dissimilar to applying lotion to skin.
- TROCHES– Troches are small lozenges that dissolve between the cheek and gum over a period of about 30 minutes. As it dissolves, the hormones are gradually absorbed into the blood stream, resulting in physiologically natural hormone blood levels.
- BHRT PELLETS– Research data supports that BHRT with pellet implants is the most effective and the most bio-identical method to deliver hormones in both men and women. Implants, placed under the skin, consistently release small, physiologic doses of hormones providing optimal therapy.
Debbie received her master’s of science in nursing from the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Her specialty areas are Psychiatry and Family Practice. She trained in a dual track program that emphasized holistic care by treating the patient’s physical and psychological needs simultaneously. She is board certified as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, a Family Nurse Practitioner and a functional anti-aging medicine specialist. As a holistic practitioner, Debbie offers a variety of services for all ages including medical and psychological diagnostic evaluation and treatment using the most effective holistic protocols. Debbie has over 30 years of experience as a healthcare professional with her focus on keeping patients well and preventing the onset of chronic disease.
Debbie’s 3 Habits to Ensure her Health Journey are super basic:
- Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep daily.
- Yoga & meditation daily.
- Nutrient based diet.
Debbie’s Favorite Music For:
- Pushing harder: Beatles, Revolution.
- Pump you up when feeling blue: Beatles, Twist and Shout. She uses it at seminars to get people going!!
- To sooth when tense: George Harrison, Give Me Love.
Links and Resources
- Debbie’s website HolisticNebraska.com, contact her via her contact form or call 402-486-9373.
- Recommended book: A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of “A Course in Miracles”
- Recommended digital resource, to track steps, sleep and provide motivation to be active: Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband
- Hot Harmony Yoga