Listen to the Podcast
26.2 Miles – Is Running Really All it’s Cracked Up to Be? Angie Spencer Shares Her Love, Episode 008
In this week’s episode, Angie takes us through her journey of how she got started in running, having moved across the country with her husband and two kids in tow, to today’s reality where she gets to coach people across the globe helping them achieve their running and healthy living goals through Marathon Training Academy’s programs and online personal training & support.
Her goal is to run a marathon in every state, and soon internationally as well. Her and her husband Spencer take their 3 small children with them to each race, creating an educational adventure with every stop.
She has been able to help many runners throughout the world train for marathons, run faster, beat PR’s and reach running goals, through her Marathon Training Academy.
“Statistics show that up to 70% of runners will experience an injury at least once in their running career.”
Angie talks to us about running injury-free and provides us with her coaching philosophy. You’ll want to listen in to get her great tips to prevent injury and how to stay motivated for the long haul, creating a lifestyle of health and fitness.
“The idea of a health journey needs to be something that you enjoy, otherwise, you’re not going to do it.”
Angie Spencer is a certified running coach and registered nurse who has completed 37 marathons and 3 ultramarathons injury free. She’s the co-host of the Marathon Training Academy podcast -which has been downloaded over 3.4 million times. She currently lives in Missouri with her husband and 3 children. You can connect with her at marathontrainingacademy.com.
Angie’s 3 Gold Nuggets of Advice:
- Have a short and long term goal. Where do you want to be 10 years from now? What does the process to get there look like, and start following that now in order to get there.
- Find support and community.
- Start slowly and commit to be in it for the long haul. See it as a gift to yourself.
Links and Resources
- Recommended books:
- Runner’s World website has a lot of great resources
- The Marathon Training Academy Podcast is a great source of motivation and advice.
- The Marathon Training Academy website is a great resource for training plans, blog posts, the podcast, and where you can find Angie and Spencer.
- A great resource to get started is The Academy, if you’re looking for additional support, or don’t have a local running community. Perfect to go through on your own. They also offer a private Facebook community for everyone who joins.
- Angie offers personal coaching depending on availability.
- Marathon Training Academy Facebook
- Marathon Training Academy Twitter